Experience to date
- We provided a safe and enjoyable lockdown experience for 15 boarding students over Easter 2020, who were unable to get home.
- We taught and cared for key worker children during all lockdown periods in 2020 and 2021.
- We welcomed back Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 pupils in June 2020 for 5 weeks of teaching on site. Children were taught in small groups and adapted well to the new safety measures we had put in place.
- Year 10 and 12 returned to Felsted for three weeks in June 2020 to experience lessons and some co-curricular activities. Pupils and staff worked together to create a safe, productive and enjoyable experience.
- A number of Year 10 and 12 pupils experienced a boarding week at the end of June 2020 in two co-educational boarding houses. This week was a fantastic learning experience for all involved, provided everyone with much confidence that boarding can be done safely in this current environment, if health and safety measures are adhered to.
- We hosted a number of international boarders, affected by quarantine conditions, to our International Returners Course prior to term starting in September 2020, so that they were ready to start school with other students at the start of term. Pupils were cared for by fully trained members of Felsted staff and their personal wellbeing was carefully supported alongside academic structure and guidance.
- We hosted our introductory ‘LEAP’ week in August 2020 for our new overseas pupils, who did not need to spend time in quarantine. We arranged for Felsted transport to pick each student up from airports to minimise contact with non-Felsted staff.
- The return of our full time traditional boarders in September 2020 were prioritised, with a gradual reintroduction of our weekly and contemporary/flexi boarding pupils soon after, to ensure the safety of all.
- We provided full boarding to those students who could not return to their home countries during the October Half Term 2020.
- All our students were able to return home or to guardians for the Christmas Holidays. We ran an Online Global Studies course for nearly 100 students from around the world before Christmas.
- Many of our international students returned after Christmas to quarantine with us before term began in January 2021. When lockdown was announced again in early January, we supported those students who wished to return home but kept our boarding open to those who preferred to stay and work remotely from our boarding houses throughout the Spring Term.
Please see the video below to find out more about how we have made boarding safe.