This is the third year we have run our Round Square Make a Difference Day. As part of the Round Square Organisation (with 200 schools worldwide), Felsted follows the ethos of the RS founder and educator Kurt Hahn which is ‘there is more to you than you think’.
Academic progress and success is paramount, but each young person should strive to be and do the best they can. Part of that is working alongside and respecting others in their day to day activities.
In the Round Square IDEALS the ‘S’ stands for Service. As a school we do a lot formally for Service, be it via our Duke of Edinburgh scheme, volunteering in residential homes, working with the Mission in East London and other activities throughout the year. Our Make a Difference Day focused on providing service to our Operational staff who work tirelessly for us all, especially at this busy time of the year.
Approximately 40 Year 10 pupils took part, led by some of our new prefects for September. This is how they ‘made a difference’.
- Helping the catering staff in the Lord Riche Hall
- Helping the stewards
- Helping the matrons in Houses
- Helping the domestic staff
- Helping the local environment by picking up litter
- Helping in two of the academic departments to allow teachers to concentrate on other areas of the end of term activities.
- Helping to maintain and improve the Wellbeing garden in the Prep School
- Helping in the Pre-Prep to get ready for their fête, all money raised going towards sponsoring an endangered animal in Colchester Zoo.
- Hosting a lunch for the residents of the Alms Houses in Felsted (including Flo who has just turned 103 years young!).
Collaboration and enthusiasm helped us make a difference and have a positive impact on our environment. It was a valuable experience to see and experience how much work an institution like Felsted requires to function and how much hard work stands behind it.
Darina Mironova, Year 12 & Prefect (2019/20)